A student who completed certain level of education in a country where English is not the first language, may not have the English language proficiency to successfully take academic and university preparation type courses exclusively.
At the time of the registration, a student will be given English Placement Test to determine the language proficiency. Placement test is an academic proficiency that includes four parts:
- a part testing listening skills
- a part testing reading skills
- an essay
- an interview (10-15 minutes)
As English Language learners Hanson High School students must complete the placement test upon arrival.
The test will determine which level of the Language Foundation program is the right fit for the students. Successful completion of the language foundation levels serves as evidence of sufficient English proficiency for transition to Hanson High School University Preparation Programs (UPP and UGP).
The English placement test is a diagnosis of the student’s ability in the four main communication skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) required for academic work.
*Exemption from English Placement Test
English placement test can be waived in the following cases:
- English is a student’s first language (international students arriving from Australia, English speaking Canadian provinces, English speaking Caribbean island nations, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Nigeria, etc.)
- A student has O-level/A-level English exam result grade “C” and above.
- A student has a valid IELTS result overall band score of 6.0.
- A student has earned ESLEO credit course through other school in Ontario or Canada.
If a student is qualified under one of the above-mentioned categories, he/she will be placed directly into the main stream high school program.